A Marine Apprehends a Thief on Black Friday

Marine Stabbed on Black FridayNovember 26, 2010 – Tracey Attaway of Waynesboro, Georgia, shoplifted a Dell laptop into his jacket on Black Friday 2010 in Best Buy, Augusta, GA. When confronted and approached by a security employee of Best Buy, Attaway pulled out a knife and run for the door.

The store employee run after the thief shouting for others to apprehend him. Luckily four marines and seven other volunteers were outside collecting toys for Toys for Tots, a non-profit organization that helps poor children. Cpl Philip Duggan reacted immediately and jumped in front of the assailant trying to stop him.

The marines tried to restrain him but Tracey Attaway was able to pull a knife and stab Cpl Dugan on his back near his spine.

The corporal was fine and was brought to hospital was discharged after three stitches and first aid was provided for him.

Luckily, Cpl Dugan injuries were not too severe, and the next day he was seen donating a toy at a nearby Walmart store.

Attaway faces charges of armed robbery, aggravated assault, and possession of a knife in the commission of a crime. In October 2011, he is sentenced to life imprisonment. He was convicted with such punishment because of his 30 previous charges and arrests on different crimes.

This distressing Black Friday story has been reported all over the web, in some instances incorrectly.  Snopes explains how the event became dramatized through email and other articles, and an extra part was added to the story.  People were led to believe that other Marines who were nearby, jumped on Tracey Attaway, attempting to give the reader a sense that some kind of extra justice has been achieved, and also telling us not to anger Marines because they are tough.

However none of the Police reports or any evidence from the time shows anything like this, it was simply a piece of fiction added by someone that got propagated and spread around the web.  Certain other news stories were alluded to, and someone even went as far as to make a fake newspaper article picture and spreading that over the web!

This urban myth persisted into 2011 where the same story was used but the name in question was changed to Tyrone Jackson.  Thanks to Snopes we can now sort the fact from the fiction surrounding this incident.